"Heavenly Father, you always amaze me. Let your kingdom come in my world and in my life." ~Your Love is Strong, Jon Foreman

Saturday, June 11, 2011

When Two Worlds Meet

It’s not every day that the rich meet the poor, that two people – one from the world’s richest country and the other from one of the most depraved nations of the world – get to spend a day together and realize how similar we really are. But it is a beautiful blessing when two worlds meet. On May 30th, I had the amazing opportunity to actually meet, face-to-face, the 14-year-old boy I have been getting to know through snail mail since Christmas. It will be difficult to put the experience into words, but I’ll do my best.

His name is Saulo Apaza, and he lives with his mom, dad, and two brothers in a tiny town without running water on the south side (the poor part) of Cochabamba. I left early Monday morning from the guest house and managed to find my way to the Compassion office in the middle of the city – about an hour-long journey by the public transit vans called trufis. From the start I knew it was going to be a day of tangibly seeing God’s hand at work. For instance, a stranger who had heard where I was going kindly let me know when to get off and where to go. (That was right after I prayed God would let me know somehow when to get off in this vast, unfamiliar city… talk about answered prayer!) All day I fervently prayed for God’s help understanding and speaking Spanish, and He granted me that as well.

Anyways, the blessed visit began in the Compassion office right after I was filled in that the other kids at the project might ask me if I was their sponsor or to please tell their sponsor to write them letters. Only 5% of all sponsored children ever get to meet their sponsor, and I was told that very few come to Bolivia. Then I was greeted by Saulo with a big bear hug from this cool, athletic-looking 14-year-old boy – that would never happen in the States! His dad and the sponsorship director, Jimena, accompanied us all day, and I enjoyed getting to know them. In the taxi to Villa Israel (his town), I excitedly gave him his gift: a drawstring backpack that read Houghton College, art supplies (because he loves to draw), and my old iPod nano with lots of Christian and Spanish music on it. In return, he presented me with a flawless, soft, white t-shirt he had sewn by hand. That was such a fun, touching moment.

I don’t want this to be too long, so I’ll try to sum up the day quickly. First I got a tour of the student center where Saulo spends his afternoons (along with 400 other students) and attends church. Then we went to his house, where I met his Quechuan mom (in traditional indigenous garb), who had prepared a delicious lunch for us. (I ate everything I was given—even some new and interesting things—praying all the while that God would keep it down.) Then Adolfo, Saulo’s dad, took us for a drive to see a large lake and show me around other parts of the outskirts of Cochabamba. Finally we played Wallyball (my new favorite sport—volleyball in a racquetball court—which is very popular here) with the other 14- and 15-year-olds in Saulo’s classroom at the student center.

It was such a neat reminder while just enjoying myself with Saulo and his friends and family that we were brothers and sisters in God’s big family, and neither cultural nor economical differences affect that. It was also a painful call to keep Saulo, his family, and the other kids in my prayers and to write him more often. When they first told Saulo I was coming to visit, he thought they must mean someone else because I hadn’t written very often. I felt so bad hearing that, realizing that I had let my busy life at college hinder our relationship. But his dad and Jimena kept saying that Saulo was so excited and happy that his “cabeza está en las nubes” (head is in the clouds). One of my favorite moments of the day was when his tutor asked him how he felt and he replied with a grin, “feliz.” I have a lot to learn from their abundant joy despite having so little, and I am looking forward to continuing to grow our relationship through our letters. I cannot thank God enough for the blessing of that visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment