"Heavenly Father, you always amaze me. Let your kingdom come in my world and in my life." ~Your Love is Strong, Jon Foreman

Saturday, May 14, 2011

La Cochabambita

So it’s been about 4 days since I’ve been in Cochabamba, Bolivia, SOUTH AMERICA!! I left Cleveland Hopkins airport at 6:30 pm Tuesday May 10, and arrived in Santa Cruz, Bolivia at 7:30 am Wed, when my adventure really began! I had to buy my own ticket to Cochabamba, get bolivianos out of the ATM, run to pay the airport tax and then back thru security to catch my flight that was leaving in 5 minutes. It was exciting! :) So since I've been here, I've climbed an Andean mountain with Incan ruins at the top, shadowed a pediatrician, been in a small taxi/bus crammed full of over 20 people, watched a surgery removing a screw from a girls ankle, seen the tallest Christ statue in the world, presented to kids how to brush your teeth, and so many other things! 
God is so good and has already answered so many prayers: friendly support here, good comprehension and communication in Spanish for me, making all my flights without problems, luggage arriving in Bolivia with me, safety, no sickness or pains due to altitude, and keeping us all in joyful, servant-hearted spirits. 
Next week, from Tuesday to Friday, 10 of us are travelling by buses and canoes to a small village of the Yuquis tribe in the jungle to do a clinic there. We're told they are a stubborn and lazy people who does not want to change their ways or do the work to take care of themselves and ward off diseases. So they have a lot of problems with TB, parasites, and diseases due to the inbreeding. Their tribe is rapidly diminishing because of these problems. So please pray for us on this mission, that the Yuquis will be receptive to our presentations on how to maintain their health, for travelling mercies and health - safety from malaria especially, and for us to be sensitive and welcomed to their culture. 
God bless!
Hasta pronto! 

1 comment:

  1. hey Marcia! praying for your trip! thanks for sharing. love, erika

    ReplyDelete